Monday, October 02, 2006

Someone Wake Up Green Day

October already.

Holy Jesus - gotta get on that Christmas shopping!

Yes, I am one of those annoying people who has most of her Christmas shopping done by the first couple of weeks of December. Not because I'm anal, but because I'm frugal. I can't afford to do it any other way. I buy gifts every 2 weeks when I get paid. With the proliferation of children in my family - 1 kid, 2 nieces and 1 nephew at last count - there's no other fiscal way to accomplish shopping.

Have already knocked off a couple - clothes for the nieces, also some for my own kid. And a cheap Santa present for K - a three part nylon crawl-through-it-tentlike thing. $15 - can't beat that. And it's big, which always impresses the wee ones. Also know what B and I are getting K - one of the loft beds from Ikea. We had told her she needed to be 6 before we got her one, but I think she's ready and she'll totally love it. B won't totally love putting it together, but that's not my problem, right?

And now begins the annual shmozzle over splitting our time between our home and my parents' place. We alternate years, and on the years we're with my parents it's not a big deal. On the off years we still travel there - a 4 hour drive in bad weather - on one weekend in December to do "Christmas." We've never minded, but this year December is already so packed the only time we have is the first weekend or New Year's weekend. Unfortunately, my snow bird parents don't want to wait until after New Year's to leave, so we may be stuck with the first weekend in December, which means it's doubly critical for me to get my shit together early. I'm a little annoyed with them, actually - we've bent over backwards every year to make sure we see my family. No one else travels but us. The fact my parents aren't willing to postpone their multi-week getaway is slightly galling. They're retired - what the fuck else do they have to do? I guess we'll see - things are still up in the air as my sister's inlaws have yet to get the fence posts out of their asses on whether or not they're coming, or will fly the whole fan damily to their place.

It's the most wonderful time of the year, right? Bah humbug.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter