Friday, September 15, 2006

The Windmills of my Mind ...

So, I have become what I swore I never would.

I have become a person who relies on a daytimer.

I've always had a crack memory. Never needed lists or reminders or anything. Grocery list? Pshaw! Sure, I'd forget a couple of things every time I went shopping, but that's what makes it exciting, right? Calendar for birthdays? Forget it - my mind's a steal trap! So I can't remember my mother in law's birthday, so what? She never remembers mine either. Bitch.

But the steal trap started rusting a few years ago. I found I'd have to park in the same area of the mall every time I went, or I'd get lost. I'd be one of those people aimlessly wandering the parking lot, hunting for my car. Never resorted to the humiliation of having one of the little golf-carts zoom me around, though. Thank God for that. I'd also have to keep my keys in the same place, or I'd never get out of the house.

Now it seems the things I have to keep track of have exploded into a mess of lists, tables, and notices.

Take this Sparks thing. Sparks is like pre-Brownies. My daughter is a Spark this year, and gullible me, I have been talked into being a leader. That means a meeting every Monday night, with different activities. But some Mondays don't have meetings, because the night has changed, or there's a special event at some other point. Or a holiday. Oh, and don't forget about Sparks CAMP, either. In December. Can you say "pass the electric blanket?" I bet they won't even let us drink. Fuck.

Add in the Ballet Saturday mornings - but not EVERY Saturday morning. And the swimming lessons that start up in October. And the Parent Advisory Committee meetings for K's school. And the ridiculously busy social life I have somehow managed to create for myself. And the doctor's appointments, the trips to see my parents, my parents' trips to see us, etc, etc, ad infinitum.

Jesus, I don't need a daytimer, I need a secretary! And a chauffeur. And to win the lottery, so I can eliminate the biggest time sucker of all - my job. T fucking GIF, BTW.

1 Comments:

Blogger Refinnej said...

I'm still resisting the daytimer. Betweeen my Outlook calendar at work, the birthday reminder email I signed up for, and the copious lists I write to myself, I'm doing ok.

I think.

How's the PAC thing going? Ours is seriously in need of volunteers, and (smack me) I'm considering joining.

9:03 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter