Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I'm Fine, Thanks ... And I don't Care How You Are.

It is seriously the most dreaded question in the English language to ask.

I'm fine thanks - how are you?

I hate it. Hatehatehatehatehate it.

Why?

Because most people don't know how to answer it.

Don't get me wrong. When I ask good friends and family, I mean it. I really want to know how they are, because I have an investment in their health and well-being and care about the answer.

Strangers or aquaintances? Could give a rat's ass how they are. But you ask to be polite, right? How else do you answer the question "How are you?" You can't just say "I'm fine, thanks" because it sounds rude. You're expected to ask the follow up "how are you?" That's how it's done, it's how it's always been done. People get ticked off and think you're a snob if you don't.

Unfortunately, you're then subjected to the answer.

You know you're going to get a doozy by the signs. You know the ones. Like the person who starts out with a big sigh and "well ..." Then you get an indepth analysis of their assorted medical conditions, marital problems, issues with the job. It's endless. And you have to sit there and listen to it all, right? After all, you asked. You moron.

The other one I love is the "oh, well, you know ..." and then nothing. Prompting you to ask the follow up "oh, what's wrong?" Hah! I don't fall for that trap anymore. An almost stranger? Forget it! You want to be passive-aggressive with someone, go home and take it out on your family. Not me. Not interested in the slightest.

So I think from now on, when a co-worker or mere aquaintance asks me "how are you today?" I'll answer "I am absolutely fabulous! Couldn't be better! Thank you SO MUCH for asking!" and leave it at that. I'll just breezily walk away, leaving the next poor sap to be asked "how are you" holding the smelly bag of the response.

Does that make me a cold-hearted, anti-social bitch? Probably. Don't care. Rat's ass, remember? What it will gain me is some relief from the way-too-personal glances into someone else's life, and a few precious minutes of my day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter